Friday, April 19, 2013

Interview Tips

For the 2012-2013 cycle, I got 9 interview invites and attended 5 of them (UoP, Michigan, NYU, UPenn, UCLA).

Now that interviews are completely, 100%, glorifyingly over, I'm proud to say I was 5 for 5 interviews, aka I got accepted anywhere I interviewed! woot.

I would attribute my success to three factors, and I'll list them for you below (Interview Prep Checklist below as well!).

1. Being genuine.
  • On my UCLA interview, they asked me what I'd been doing over my gap year. I started listing being like, "It's been a pretty busy year.. I have several part time jobs as a dental assistant, teacher, tutor...and a waitress.. to make rent by the end of the month.. haha" At that, both my interviewers jumped at my sheepish last response, and said "Being a server is probably one of the most valuable experiences you coulda gotten out of all the jobs you listed. Being in a service position blah blah blah" etc. They knew that being a server doesn't sound fancy, but the life experience is invaluable. 
  • On two interviews (Penn and UCLA) I was asked about my less-than-stunning GPA. They said they wanted to give me a chance to "explain myself". I told them straight up, "In high school, I was very competitive and didn't really understand the value friendship. I was really awkward, but college gave me a chance to realize the importance of relationships and the growth that comes from interacting with others. In the beginning, it was really hard to balance and to get adjusted to, but my GPA became a sacrifice that was worth it. College really taught me a lot of lessons a text book couldn't." And then they proceeded to tell me about how they felt the exact same way, and how learning people skills is so important. 

2. Having adequate preparation.
  • A couple nights before my interview (but honestly, the night before.. haha) I went on SDN's interview prep site, looked up my school online, went through my resume, and figured out a spiffy, short way to summarize my research to someone who could care less about Drosophila and centromeric proteins. 
  • Figure out what you're going to wear - ladies, I don't really think a cardigan + sparkly top = professional (which is what I've seen). Invest in a suit (banana republic/j.crew were my favorites! + 15% off student discount, and discounts online. BR won out in the end), and bring flats for the school tour.
  • Talk to yourself in the car, or on a walk, or at a cafe, about why dentistry means a lot to you! Something I've realized is that wanting to be a dentist DOES NOT MEAN you have an infatuation for teeth. The mature, less "SDN pre-dent" reason to be a dentist is because you can see the value that dentists contribute to society, and can see yourself investing time to develop and polish my skill to become a great practitioner. Plus, you've got all the right foundation to get that going - friendly demeanor, intellectual, fairly artistic, and the sound of a drill doesn't freak you out.  
3. Being confident, because honestly..dental school interviews are kind of a piece of cake.
  • Okay, for people who hate interviews and squirm at the thought of talking about themselves, this point doesn't really apply (and yes, I really like blogging, so obviously I am very self-important and like to talk about myself a lot) BUT it is 100% fact when I tell you that many schools accept more than 40% of the students they interview!! Some are even closer to like.. 90% (I think UoP and UCLA). 
  • So remember this, grasshopper. You've already done a shitload of stuff that makes you really interesting/worth spending their time to interview, so you're in a great position. Interviews are not just for you to impress them, but for dental schools to impress you. 

Interview Prep Checklist! 
  • Practice a firm handshake. Firm, not vice-grip; and firm, not noodley.
  • Check that you don't have anything in your teeth from breakfast, or any boogers in your nose, as those are distracting.
  • PREPARE QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SCHOOL. Here are some if you need help.
  • Know why you want to go to that particular school - is there something unique to the program? Any faculty's work you admire? You know you want to specialize and this program will familiarize you with your specialty of choice? You want to be a GP and this school has a gajillion clinic hours? Even if its not your top choice, sell it!!!!
  • pen and paper
  • If it's an MMI interview (Michigan!!) make sure you read up on dental ethics - how do you feel about dental spas, what do you think of mid-level practitioners, etc. 
That's about all I got. So good luck, and let us know if you have any questions :)

:) rachel

1 comment: