Sunday, April 7, 2013

A Year Well Spent

I have been working at the Clinical Research Center at the School of Optometry for almost 3 years now and in my time here, I have developed close friendships with my co-workers, a couple of which are now first year optometry students at the UC Berkeley School of Optometry! I would be lying if I said I didn't wish I could be them. I see them drop by between lectures to squeeze in a couple hours of journal reading or office work and then head off to pre-clinic. Seeing them together and sharing their first year experience with one another has definitely made me think about whether or not I should have taken a year off between graduation and the start of optometry school. Was I just being lazy or did I really need this year off to strengthen my life experiences and application?

Now, almost an entire year after graduating, I can confidently say that taking a gap year was one of the best decisions I have ever made. :) I wanted to take the year off to focus on myself for once and try new things that I never had time to try during undergrad. This past year was all about personal and professional growth, stepping out of my comfort zone, and making new memories. 



With all of the things I was involved in during undergrad, I didn't really have time to branch out and expand my experiences outside of working at the CRC and in private practice. However, in my year off, I have had the opportunity to shadow an amazing optometrist at the SF VA Medical Center, serve as an Undergraduate Student Instructor for Human Anatomy Lab, and work in an ophthalmology private practice. Each of these experiences has really given me new perspectives on how I want to practice and approach patient care in the future.

One of the most moving experiences thus far has been my experience volunteering with Lauri. I was paired with her as a personal services volunteer through a program called LightHouse for the Blind & Visually Impaired. She has been blind since she was 14, but she is one of the most competent people I know and she truly enjoys all of the little things in life, which is what I love about her. I go to her house once every week or so and help her read mail, organize her belongings, pay her bills, and run errands. But the most amazing part of this has been learning how to communicate effectively with her and really develop a trusting relationship with her. :) I definitely would not have had time to do this if I was in school!

On a more personal side, I have picked up a couple of new skills and many new hobbies in my time off! There was a period of about four months where I went to either Michael's or Jo-Ann once to twice a week to pick up card making or crocheting supplies. I was definitely obsessed.. My high school friends have always been into paper crafting and I never really gave it a chance until now, and I absolutely love it! The great thing about card-making is that I can put my hobby to use and share it with someone else. Over winter break, the same friends and I spent hours making about 30 Christmas cards for the cancer patients at the Stanford Hospital. It was a great way to put our hobby to use. :) Also, thanks to Kathleen, I am now finishing up on my first crochet project -- what was supposed to be a baby blanket but I later decided to keep for myself. It will be about 150 rows long and I cannot wait until I finish it!

My year off would not have been the same if I did not have Kathleen and Rachel by my side. :) I am so grateful that we all moved into an apartment together and got to experience soooo many new adventures together. I got to cross off two things on my bucket list: completing a half marathon and hiking to the top of Half Dome, both of which I completed with them! I've also had the chance to go duck hunting, clay shooting, and have plans of traveling to Europe! Other than that, we have just made so many memories together around Berkeley, SF, and of course, our lovely apartment. I am so excited for the three of us to start school and be able to talk about all of the great things we did in our year off and look back on it with only smiles. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment