Monday, January 14, 2013

Why I Decided to Take a Gap Year

For Berkeley students, its pretty typical to take a gap year before plunging into a health professional school. I think its becoming more and more common, as people begin to realize the amount of debt they will be in as soon as they finish med/dental/opto/whatever school, and see that there's significantly less room for simply enjoying life. Plus, Berkeley kids are usually burned out from 4 years (or more) or camping out at the library, being constantly caffeinated, and just getting too little sleep.

So why take a gap year? Here were my reasons:

Sleep, play, and learn. 

These are all things I couldn't get enough of during my time as a student, since I was working in lab 30+ hrs/week, going about all my club activities, being in a sorority, volunteering as a dental assistant. My roommates like to joke that I'm narcoleptic, but to be honest, it's probably because I was so sleep deprived for 4 years (not including high school.. that's another story lol).

So far, I've had the chance to get experience in jobs that won't be my primary focus once I'm a dentist; I have four part time jobs as a teacher, a tutor, a waitress, and a dental assistant. Maybe that sounds like a lot, but I absolutely LOVE working with high school students (or at least mine are really cool hahaha) so it doesn't feel like work.. I work at this sushi restaurant in Berekeley, and that has DEFINITELY been a roller coaster. I learn so much there, but it's a love-hate relationship. I have some awesome, supportive coworkers who taught me how to balance a tray with a bunch of heavy plates on it, and help me overcome my one dimensional focus so I can prioritize a whole list of tasks in my head. On the other hand, there's also a guy who is the hugest asshole in the entire world and I have to grit my teeth not to punch him sometimes, but its okay!! That is also a lesson learned. I'm learning to work with people I really don't want to, and as a result have a tougher skin. When he is mean, I'm learning to laugh it off (that whole, don't sweat the petty stuff, don't pet the sweaty stuff deal). Continuing dental assisting in private practice and at a free clinic keeps my dental knowledge fresh and gives me a chance to see the ways my dentists manage their practice.

In my off-time, I work out (the Insanity series and running are my favorites) so I can get into shape before school kicks me back out of it; sleep to my heart's content; and watch shows that everyone talked about but I didn't have time to watch (Sherlock and The Walking Dead to name a couple). Also, my roommates and I have gone on many adventures - hiking to the top of Half Dome in Yosemite, watching the Book of Mormon in San Francisco, training for and completing our first marathon, canoeing at Stowe Lake, bouldering at Bridges Rock Gym - just to name a few. We also have smaller, daily adventures, just sitting on the couch, crocheting blankets, or watching documentaries together :)

Also, now I can't wait to start school, and I'm SO EXCITED TO STUDY AGAIN! My inner-nerd is so excited to use nice pens (the Surari and the Jetstream are my absolute favorites) to fill up notebooks, and hang out in libraries because I'll actually have a reason to. hah.

All in all, taking a gap year is the shit. It makes you appreciate what you have, and gives you some breathing room before you have to get back into intense study mode for 4 years :)

2 comments:

  1. How did you get started in dental assisting/shadowing? I don't quite know where to start....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amanda,
      I started out my junior year by asking my pre-dental society if they had any names of dentists who were willing to be shadowed. I then emailed a handful, and started shadowing with the first one who responded to me. After that, I started assisting at a free clinic because I already had experience in an office, and eventually, I got hired during the summer, and my gap year.

      If you don't have a pre-dental society, you should just try calling offices in your area. Start off with a general practitioner (GP) and then move on to other specialties that you might be interested in! It really only takes about a week to really get the hang of things and see what you may like.

      Good luck!

      Delete