Monday, April 8, 2013

Goodbye 305



Warning: Cheese ahead.

Apartment 305 is home to many of my favorite memories - nights where we refused to go out and stayed up to hours that grandmas wouldn't dare, crafting away and crocheting patchwork blankets endlessly. Nights where we would sit around eating cereal (this happened so often we deemed these occasions "cereal parties") laughing about things, both silly and serious. That moment we decided that a pen club really was necessary, and that we had to be the ones to start it (and then convince others that it was not only cool, but that they wanted to join it). The nights of buzzing worry and anticipation before our half marathon, Half Dome hike, 5K, and our respective grad school tests. Our champagne and "strawberry shortcake" cake night to celebrate acceptances to schools and the beginning of our lives' dreams. The time Annie impressed us by cooking an omelet.

I think I was lucky to go to Berkeley because it's both accepted  and common among pre-health students to take a gap year here. I mean, we go to the "#1 public university" in America, so we deserve a break.. right? haha. Honestly, I think everyone deserves a break after the brutal, life-changing, revolutionary years that college is bound to be (if you do it right, that is), but I am certainly grateful that I've been able to take this time off and build my self.

Over the past year, I count myself extremely fortunate for my experiences, especially the shitty ones, because each time, I learned something brand new about myself. I worked at a restaurant where every day felt like a challenge and I always left work wanting to quit, but I stuck with it. One of the employees was openly a huge douche and one was super creepy, but I figured out how to keep my cool and then handle that other uncomfortable situation. I worked at a dental office where I started off on the wrong foot, and instead of having my boss trust me from the start, had to develop the patience to slowly gain it. Most importantly, I had another opportunity to be a teacher for a program that I absolutely love, and spent my Saturdays teaching SAT to some of the best kids. That may sound boring, but imagine the delight in helping your students conquer the SAT, something equally necessary for opening doors, and daunting. Now, I'm working in a dental lab, learning about excellence in my future profession, as well as gaining life advice from my first christian mentor.

Yesterday, I moved out from my Berkeley apartment, #305. It's unbelievable how quickly it is coming to an end. Of course, I broke my ankle (the result of my newfound enthusiasm for bouldering + extremely bad luck) so I've spent part of my time off just sitting around, but still.. time really flies.

I live in a small world, filled with small hopes, yet great people happen to stumble into it. I entered college with low confidence in myself, socially inept, and awkward. I am leaving with higher confidence in myself, socially inept, and still awkward haha - but with close friends I can depend on. That has made all the difference, and I couldn't ask for anything more.

So Berkeley, thanks for 4.75 years of good people, inspiring mentors, and a lot of room to grow.
Thanks for friends that aren't bothered by my spotty attention span, overly excitable personality, and enthusiasm to try everything in the whole world (and then attempt to be good at it).

It's been great, but it's time to move on! Here's the last bit of stuff I had to bring down to my car before I left for LA.


Berkeley, I'll be back. Next weekend to be precise.


:) rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment